Firefighters have given the all clear after a brief gas leak scare took place at a University of Victoria residence building on Saturday morning.
Saanich Fire Captain Ian Swan says the fire department was called to the Park Residence building, on the northeast side of campus, around 9:48 a.m. for a report of a gas leak.
Firefighters were able to confirm that there was indeed a small gas leak, but Swan describes it as “extremely minor.”
He says by the time firefighters arrived, it was difficult to even locate the source of the smell because it was so faint.
Similarly, monitors were unable to pick up any signs of gas.
“It was a service [line] outside the building, basically expelling a little bit of gas out of an over-pressure valve of some type,” he said.
He says he was surprised that anyone was able to notice the gas smell.
“It must have burped when someone went by it,” he said.
People inside the building were told to shelter in place while firefighters finished their examination.
FortisBC later arrived to review the scene, at which point firefighters left, according to Swan.
The fire captain says there was “no danger at all” for people on campus Saturday.
“It was extremely minor, not construction or anything of that sort that caused it,” he said.