New 13,000-square-foot skatepark coming to Colwood will feature ‘hybrid conceptual’ design

New 13,000-square-foot skatepark coming to Colwood will feature 'hybrid conceptual' design
New Line Skateparks
A new 13,000-square-foot skatepark is coming to Colwood.

A new expansive skatepark coming to Colwood aims to create a world-class skateable and rideable landscape destination where people of all ages and abilities can improve their skills.

On Friday, the five municipalities that own the lands at West Shore Parks & Recreation (WSPR) re-announced the new park, saying its “hybrid conceptual” design will measure 13,000 square feet and cost $1,279,900.

The municipalities, including the City of Colwood, the City of Langford, the District of Metchosin, the District of Highlands and the Town of View Royal, will cover 36 per cent of costs, or $459,600, while the remaining 64 per cent will come from fundraising and in-kind contributions.

The Westshore Skate Park Coalition, a group that has advocated for a new skatepark on the Westshore for over six years, is also helping make the park a reality.

“The combined contributions from the five owner municipalities shows the commitment local councils have towards recreation and the mental health of youth (and young at heart),” said Kyara Kahakauwila, Westshore Parks & Recreation board chair.

In a joint news release, the municipalities say the Vancouver-based team of New Line Skateparks, in partnership with van der Zalm + Associates, was selected earlier this year as the skatepark’s project manager. 

The park will be located at the Juan de Fuca Lower Park, which is found behind the Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre at 1767 Island Hwy., according to the municipalities.

“With the selection of the design-build company, moving forward with this exciting addition to the facilities of West Shore Parks & Recreation, the board and staff are excited to see this project move one step closer to completion for our communities,” added Kahakauwila.

The park is scheduled for completion in March 2023 and will replace the previous Belmont Skatepark, the only other skate park in the Westshore before being torn down in 2015 for site redevelopment.

(New Line Skateparks)


Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!