Nanaimo teen charged with murder in fatal stabbing at Maffeo Sutton Park

Nanaimo teen charged with murder in fatal stabbing at Maffeo Sutton Park
CHEK
Police tape cordons off a section of Nanaimo’s Maffeo Sutton Park following a fatal stabbing on Sept. 5, 2022.

A 19-year-old man has been charged with murder following the fatal stabbing of a 29-year-old man in Maffeo Sutton Park Monday night.

Mark Jayden Harrison has also been charged with assault with a weapon and committing an offence with a restricted weapon other than a firearm.

Mounties were called to the downtown waterfront area Monday night at around 11:30 p.m. for a report that youths were intimidating and harassing a security guard.

When they arrived, the youths had fled, but that’s when one officer discovered a 29-year-old man who had been stabbed and later died from his injuries in hospital.

A 19-year-old man was arrested near the scene without incident and a 17-year-old male was also arrested a short while later. Both suspects remain in police custody. Police said they are also trying to find a third individual linked to the stabbing.

Nanaimo’s mayor says the 29-year-old victim had disabilities making the stabbing even that much more reprehensible.

“This person was more vulnerable than many in our streets, and for anyone to attack them just makes it that much more frustrating and increases the public anger, and the anger and sadness that I think we all feel for the individual and his family,” Krog said on Sept. 7.

Harrison had his first court appearance Friday morning, and is being held in custody until his next court appearance slated for Sept. 20.

None of the charges have been proven in court.

READ MORE: ‘Lots of screaming’: Man, 29, killed in stabbing at Nanaimo’s Maffeo Sutton Park

Kendall HansonKendall Hanson

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!