One person was injured after a vehicle caught fire in Victoria Sunday afternoon, according to the Victoria Fire Department.
The fire department says crews from engine one and rescue one were called to a vehicle on fire on Chambers Street, near Pandora Street, around 1 p.m. They arrived to find the vehicle fully involved in flames and used a bumper and transverse hose line to knock down the flames.
Battalion Chief Kirkendale arrived soon after, the department said on Instagram Monday morning.
It says the person, an occupant of the vehicle, was injured by the blast and suffered small burns to his face, hands and ankles. Paramedics with BC Emergency Health Services treated the man on scene before transporting him to hospital.
Victoria Fire says the man’s dog was also in the vehicle but was not injured. It adds that it’s fortunate the pet was able to flee the flames.
Fire investigators believe a “poorly stored” propane tank is to blame for the blaze, and the fire department, in its social media post, called the incident a “sad story.”
It’s also “a cautionary tale to take proper care when using propane in confined spaces. Our heart goes out to the owner of the vehicle, losing so much at this time of year can not be easy,” it added.
The Canadian Propane Association has propane tank safety tips on its website and says they should never be stored in closed vehicles.
“Placing it on the floor of the passenger compartment with all the windows open is ideal. When in the trunk, block the trunk lid open,” the association says. “Never leave a cylinder in a parked vehicle with the windows up. Heat builds up quickly and could cause an explosive release of propane in the vehicle.”
View this post on Instagram