Man in hospital with serious burns following fire in Port Alberni

Man in hospital with serious burns following fire in Port Alberni
Port Alberni Fire Department
Port Alberni firefighters respond to a house fire on 10th Avenue on Oct. 31, 2019.

A man suffered serious burns following a grease fire in Port Alberni early Thursday morning.

Port Alberni Fire Chief West Patterson said crews were called out at around 3:47 a.m. to a fire on 10th Avenue. Mutual aid from the Cherry Creek Fire Department, Beaver Creek Volunteer Fire Department, and Sproat Lake Volunteer Fire Department was also dispatched automatically.

When firefighters arrived, there was smoke coming out the front of the house, and flames and smoke in the back of the house.

Patterson said there was one occupant outside when firefighters got there and two others got out when crews were getting ready to enter the house. The three occupants were taken to hospital and one was transferred to Vancouver by helicopter with serious burns.

Patterson said over 25 firefighters had the fire under control within five minutes but it took a bit longer to check that the fire hadn’t spread to the attic.

Fire officials have determined the fire was a grease fire that started with a pot on the stove. Fire damage was limited to the kitchen and the deck area with more extensive smoke damage throughout the home.

Patterson said the fire is a good reminder to make sure smoke detectors are working and to use kitchen appliances designed for grease cooking when using grease.


Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!