Kitchen fire leads to evacuation of Victoria Native Friendship Centre

Kitchen fire leads to evacuation of Victoria Native Friendship Centre
Victoria Native Friendship Centre/Facebook
An undated fil photo of the Victoria Native Friendship Centre.

No one was injured, but all afternoon programs had to be moved or cancelled after a kitchen fire at the Victoria Native Friendship Centre on Tuesday.

Ron Rice, executive director of the Victoria Native Friendship Centre, says staff were present at the time of the kitchen fire.

“Staff were not originally alerted to the fire as our exhaust system removed all smoke and fumes from room,” Rice said in an email. “They discovered the fire, contained within one piece of cooking equipment, and called for the fire department and for the evacuation of the main building.”

Rice says the daycare stands separately from the building with the fire, and is not affected.

The fire department suppressed the fire and the building was cleared for occupancy after the air quality was evaluated.

“Meal services are suspended for the time being and alternate arrangements are being made for essential programs and services such as daycare and homeless shelter,” Rice said.

The VNFC kitchen produces an estimated 72,000 meals and 36,000 snacks per year.

Rice says an adjuster will be on site on Wednesday to determine the next steps, and power has been shut off in the kitchen until the inspections are complete.

RELATED: Primary care clinic expands in Saanich for urban Indigenous people

Laura BroughamLaura Brougham

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!