Kimberly Proctor’s killer attended her memorial service in 2010, say parole board documents

Kimberly Proctor's killer attended her memorial service in 2010, say parole board documents
Kimberly Proctor, 18, was sexually assaulted, beaten and suffocated to death in 2010.

Warning: This story contains details that may be upsetting to some readers. Discretion is advised. 

One of the two men who sexually assaulted, tortured and murdered a young Langford woman in 2010 attended the victim’s memorial service and was observed skipping when he walked back to his car, according to parole board documents.

Kimberly Proctor, 18, was lured to a home in March 2010 by Kruse Wellwood, then 16, and Cameron Moffat, then 17, and sexually assaulted, beaten and suffocated to death, before they dumped her body on a hiking trail and set fire to it.

Wellwood and Moffat eventually pleaded guilty to the first-degree murder of Proctor and were sentenced as adults to life in prison with no chance of parole for 10 years.

Parole board documents obtained by CHEK News on Tuesday show Wellwood was denied eligibility for day parole and escorted outings from the medium-security Mission Institution on Aug. 14. The parole board concluded that Wellwood presented an “undue risk to society by reoffending.”

The parole board documents reveal more details about the murder and the aftermath. According to the documents, Wellwood and Moffat were under police surveillance after the murder as they had been identified as suspects.

“While under police surveillance you were seen attending the memorial service for the victim and you appeared to be skipping as you walked back to your car after the service,” the parole board wrote in its decision. Wellwood was arrested three months after the murder.

The documents also reveal that Proctor was the third choice for a victim after two others would not meet with the killers. The parole board also wrote there may have been a plan to kill again.

“After sexually assaulting and killing the victim, your co-accused contacted another female and asked her to come over, but she was unable to do so,” the board wrote.

“The motive according to your co-accused was that he needed to talk to someone, although there is speculation that you and he may have been looking for another victim.”

In its reason for the decision, the parole board also noted that Wellwood was on bail for assaulting his mother when he killed Proctor.

“A school vice-principal also reported that a female student said you ‘date raped’ her several times, although you deny doing so,” the board wrote.

In a 2011 psychological assessment, a psychologist identified “the presence of many risk factors associated to violent reoffending, which pointed to a high risk,” according to the documents.

“Of particular note was your lack of remorse and empathy and shallow affect, which the psychologist noted are closely connected to violence among sexual sadists. Although you were noted to deny having a preference for sadistic sexual activity, the psychologist concluded you met the diagnostic criteria for sexual sadism. The psychologist said that the diagnoses of both psychopathy and sexual deviance meant you are a particularly high risk to reoffend,” the board wrote.

A psychiatrist assessment completed in 2011 also found high risk for committing a similar offence and another psychiatrist, who did meet with Wellwood, indicated he was not optimistic Wellwood would show significant improvement in the time frames afforded by youth sentencing. That psychiatrist suggested ” prolonged and very close supervision
over the next 30-plus years.”

In most recent psychological assessment in July 2019, the psychologist cited the risk for general and violent reoffending as high and did not support release.

According to the documents, Wellwood shared the details of Proctor’s torture and murder with other inmates, with some seeking the help of counsellors after. Since his move to a medium-security institution in March 2017, incidents where Wellwood reacts violently toward inanimate objects, including a cell door and refrigerator, were noted.

In his application, Wellwood wrote he remembers Proctor in his prayers every night and his desire to be released “is in part to do justice to her memory.”

Proctor’s body was found on March 19, 2010, in Colwood under a bridge on the Galloping Goose Trail. Wellwood and Moffat had transported the body in a duffel bag, which they then brought on a bus. The two then burned the body. An autopsy report found Proctor died from asphyxiation.

With files from CBC 


Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!