Island Health officials have declared a COVID-19 outbreak at an independent living facility in Nanaimo.
The Longlake Chateau independent living facility – located at 3035 Ross Rd – has revealed that five residents have tested positive for COVID-19 at the facility.
Island Health notes that communication with all residents and their families is currently underway and the members who tested positive are currently self-isolating in their homes.
Island Health acknowledges that enhanced control measures have been put in place since the case was reported.
“Island Health is working with Longlake Chateau leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all residents and staff,” the health authority states.
Island Health says the following measures have been implemented at the site:
- Admissions will be restricted while the outbreak is in effect.
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care.
- Visitors are currently restricted throughout the facility to only essential visitors.
- Staff and resident movement in the facility has been restricted.
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced.
- Residents, families and staff are being notified.
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents.
- COVID-19 testing will be done for staff and residents who worked with the affected staff member.
Island Health adds that during the outbreak, officials will have an additional presence at the long-term care home to take any further actions necessary while offering support to the facility.
Longlake Chateau becomes the only care facility on Vancouver Island that is currently experiencing an outbreak of COVID-19.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.