The parents of a teen who died after taking drugs in a mass overdose incident are speaking out and are urging other families to be more aware of their children.
Kylie Walker, 18, died last Thursday after taking drugs with her friends in Victoria. Five other teens also overdosed on the same drugs.
“She had so many friends, so many people that cared about her,” Kylie’s mother, Angela Walker told CHEK News.
Angela said that Kylie had been 18 months sober, and completed a treatment program. She also said that on the night her daughter died, Kylie had gone to watch a movie at a friend’s house and didn’t suspect anything.
“I was talking to her just recently about youth, and how she was doing, and if she had any temptations. There was no sign of any of this at all. She was healthy, she was doing well,” said Angela.
“I’m still in shock, it’s like a bad dream that I wish I could wake up from.”
Angela said that Kylie grew up taking care of others, especially her younger brother, whom she was very close with. She also said that her daughter had aspirations to become a veterinarian and was completing her grade 12 correspondence.
“She loved animals,” said Angela.
Kylie’s father did not want to go on camera, but in a series of text messages, he described the love Kylie had for her family and arts and crafts. The father says that now a big hole remains in the family.
The parents are also asking other families to be more open and talk more often about drug use to prevent further deaths.
“Keeping your kids educated and like saying ‘hey if there’s a situation where there’s peer pressure like you can call home,'” said Angela. “These are conversations that I have with my daughter. So there’s always an out.”
The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help with funeral costs.