House fire in Vic West sends one to hospital

WatchWATCH: Neighbours save Saanich couple from burning home

A woman was taken to hospital following an early morning fire at a residence in Victoria.

The fire broke out at a two-unit bungalow on the 900-block of Walker Street shortly before 1 a.m. Wednesday and quickly moved through the structure.

Isaac Justensen told CHEK News that he woke up in his main floor bedroom, moments before the smoke alarm went off.

“It was kind of crazy. I woke up in the middle of the night. there was a bunch of smoke in my room. I could see a few flames out the window from the lower window there.”

Within seconds, Justensen said the smoke-filled up every room of the house, and the fire moved into the roof.

“I was in total shock. And I ran and grabbed my ‘bro from his room and we ran outside, in our gonch, and bare feet,” said Justensen.

David Lale lives two doors down on Pine Street and woke up when the wind knocked down his Christmas tree on his front lawn.

“As I opened the door to look at the Christmas tree, the smoke came by front of my house. ”

Lale tried to alert Vic West neighbours to the danger.

“I was yelling out the porch there, I was yelling, ‘somebody phone 911!’ and I was yelling from my porch. Then I ran back in and phoned 911.”

The quick response from neighbours, and the fire department was critical according to Acting Fire Chief Dan Atkinson, Victoria Fire Department.

“Fires have the opportunity to double in size every minute, you know, depending on conditions. So yeah, time is always of the essence. So the quicker we can alert fire personnel and we can get our crews responding the better.”

The Red Cross is providing support for the residents for the next 72 hours that could be extended to ten days.

Meanwhile, a woman living in the basement unit was treated on scene by paramedics and later taken to hospital for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

A firefighter inspects the damage caused by a fire on Dec. 8, 2021. (CHEK News)

[email protected]

WATCH: Neighbours save Saanich couple from burning home

Mary GriffinMary Griffin

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!