The investigation into the house explosion on Feb. 27 has been turned over to Nanaimo RCMP to determine if it was the result of foul play.
Around 8:20 p.m. on Feb. 27, an explosion completely destroyed one house, and seriously damaged the neighbour’s house.
RCMP say no one was in the house at the time, and there were six people treated for minor injuries.
Previously, the investigation was a joint effort between Nanaimo Fire and Rescue, Fortis BC and the Nanaimo RCMP, but now it has been turned over to RCMP.
“At this time, in consultation with partnering agencies, the investigation has been turned over to the Nanaimo RCMP to determine if foul play was involved in the explosion,” said Const. Gary O’Brien of the Nanaimo RCMP.
“There are a number of factors we’re looking at. We know we’ve been at the house on previous occasions. There’s been information that people were squatting in the house. The tenants were evicted at the end of January, nobody should be in that home,” O’Brien added.
Aside from the six injured people, another person is now in hospital after suffering a heart attack Monday.
Lisa Cook and her 67-year-old mother live across the street.
“She didn’t get much sleep but then she was cleaning up all day trying to get rid of the glass and stuff and then sat down to eat something and that’s when the chest pains started,” said Lisa Cook.
Her healthy mother had a heart attack and Lisa feels it is related to the explosion.
“Most definitely, even the doctor said so,” added Cook.
The pair had been watching television news coverage of the war in Ukraine when they were both “blown off the couch by the blast across the street.”
Investigators are asking if anyone saw anything suspicious on the property in the hours leading up to the explosion, to contact the Nanaimo RCMP non-emergency line at 250-754-2345, and quote file # 2022-6847.
READ MORE: Explosion destroys home near downtown Nanaimo