Several brands of gripe water used to treat upset stomach in babies have been recalled due to microbial contamination.
Health Canada says RW Consumer Products Ltd. is recalling all lots of “Gripe Water _ Alcohol And Preservative Free.
The products are labelled with the natural product number 80080669 and are sold under the following brand names:
Health Canada says ingesting a contaminated product may pose serious health risks and that infants may be more vulnerable because they have developing immune systems.
Symptoms of a microbial infection in infants may include vomiting and watery diarrhea, fever and abdominal pain.
Gripe water is marketed as a way to relieve minor stomach upsets including colic, cramps, gas, and hiccups.
Consumers are advised to:
- Stop giving this product to your baby.
- Consult with your health care professional if your baby has used this product and you have concerns about their health.
- Return any unused product to the place of purchase.
- Contact RW Consumer Products Ltd. at 204-786-6873 if you have questions about the recall.
- Report any health product adverse events or complaints to Health Canada.
Health Canada says it will monitor the company’s recall and inform Canadians if new safety information becomes available.
with files from Canadian Press