Firefighters and police in Comox responded to a late-night call at a construction site after someone saw smoke coming from an unfinished building.
The Comox Fire Department and Comox Valley RCMP were called to the large construction site at the new dementia village on Comox Avenue just before midnight on Friday, Sept. 22.
When fire crews arrived on scene, Mounties were already there looking for people who may have set off a fire extinguisher. According to firefighters, the fumes from an extinguisher are often mistaken for smoke.
While there was no blaze, Comox Fire says calls to construction sites draw a big response because there are so many dangers and concerns if it were to ignite.
“When you have a building under construction, you might not have finishings on the inside like drywall that are going to create some fire resistance for you,” said Capt. Pascal Lafreniere with Comox Fire.
“So if there was a fire set in here, it could travel very, very rapidly and cause great risk and lots of loss of property and potentially life.”
The RCMP say the investigation is ongoing.