Former Chuck’s Burger Bar employee charged with four counts of sexual assault, assault with a weapon

Former Chuck's Burger Bar employee charged with four counts of sexual assault, assault with a weapon
File Photo
Chuck's Burger Bar in Victoria announced its permanent closure after allegations of rape were directed at a former employee at the end of January.

A former employee of Chuck’s Burger Bar, a now-closed restaurant in downtown Victoria, has been charged with multiple counts of sexual assault as well as one count of assault with a weapon.

Jesse Chiavaroli, 41, was linked to several reports of sexualized violence at a time when he worked at the Victoria bar and grill.

On Friday, Dec. 10, VicPD’s Special Victims Unit detectives arrested Jesse Chiavaroli in the Lower Mainland and he has since been charged.

He has since been released with a court date and conditions, which include not contacting the survivors of sexual violence related to the recommended charges.

The four counts of sexual assault and the one count for assault with a weapon were all Victoria Police Department files. Chiavaroli was arrested for more counts than these but those cases are located outside of VicPD’s jurisdiction.

READ MORE: Former Chuck’s Burger Bar employee arrested, facing multiple sexual assault charges in Ontario

Police say Chiavaroli, a former resident of Niagara and Hamilton, worked in the restaurant and bar industry in downtown St. Catharines and Niagara Falls between 2009 and 2015 and in Hamilton between 2015 and 2018, before making his way to Victoria.

In 2021, at least a dozen women posted on the Survivor Stories Project site accusing Chiavaroli, then an employee of Chuck’s Burger Bar in Victoria, of sexually assaulting them. The women alleged the employee over-served them alcohol, drugged their drinks, and sexually assaulted them.

The owners of Chuck’s Burger Bar said in a statement back in February that Chiavaroli denied the accusations but was terminated from his position in January.

However, after the accusations were posted, protests were held outside the Yates Street restaurant and eventually it shut down.

This is a developing story and an update will be provided once more information is learned.


Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!