A packed Glenwood Community Centre in Port Alberni had to be evacuated due to fire and smoke late Thursday afternoon.
Port Alberni Fire Chief Kelly Gilday says crews were called to the building on Vimy Street around 5:15 pm
He says there were roughly 300 people in the building when the alarms went off.
The Port Alberni Association of Community Living was holding a family fun fair at the Centre from 4-6 pm to celebrate Community Living Month.
Its reported that many attending were children and adults with developmental disabilities.
Chief Gilday says the fire started in garbage can in one of the Centre’s bathrooms but that most of those attending the fair were already outside when they arrived on scene.
There was significant structural damage to the bathroom and parts of the east side of the building also suffered quite a bit of smoke damage.
Fire crews remained at the building until roughly 8:30 p.m.
The Glenwood Community Centre is open but the washroom are closed until further notice until repairs are completed. Washrooms are available at the Alberni Valley Multiplex from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.