After the Oyster River Fire Department responded to a fatal RV fire on Monday afternoon, the fire chief is urging people living in RVs to be cautious.
The RV fire started around 5:30 p.m. on Oct. 30 on Lambeth Rd., and there was one occupant inside. According to neighbours, the son lived in the RV on his parent’s property and the dad was banging on the window trying to wake him up to get him out.
The son, who was in his 50s, unfortunately passed away in the fire. The coroner is on scene removing the deceased from the RV.
Bruce Green, Oyster River’s fire chief, says this is the second RV fire the department has responded to in two weeks.
He says as the cost of housing continues to rise, more people are living in RVs and trying to keep warm, so he urges caution to prevent sparking a fire.
Technical Safety BC advises people to install and maintain carbon monoxide and fire alarms. To stay warm safely, the organization says it is important only to use fuel-burning appliances outside of the RV, and never use range burners or the oven inside the RV to heat the home. When using the stove, keep the range fan on and leave a window cracked.
With files from CHEK’s Skye Ryan.