The City of Nanaimo says residents in the vicinity of the 700-block of Victoria Road can return home after they were evacuated due to a suspected propane leak.
Nanaimo first responders were called to the site in the 700-block of Victoria Road at around 3 p.m. for the smell of gas. Emergency crews then determined the smell was coming from a propane tank in someone’s backyard.
According to the city, the evacuation was a precautionary measure and the area has been deemed safe. Approximately 30 homes were evacuated for two hours.
The city is reminding residents who smell propane in and around their property to call 911 immediately.