Electrical fire on Songhees Nation land displaces seven residents

Electrical fire on Songhees Nation land displaces seven residents

An electrical fire at a home near Victoria has displaced seven residents.

The fire began just before 8 a.m. Friday because of an electrical issue in a bedroom of a home on Songhees Nation land, according to View Royal Fire Department.

Authorities say that 18 firefighters from View Royal, Colewood and Langford responded to the fire and were able to knock it down quickly.

The residents were outside the home by the time firefighters arrived and no one was injured in the fire, according to View Royal Fire Department chief Paul Hurst.

Hurst suggested, however, that the damage to the home was too significant for the residents to return immediately.

“They can’t live in the house, it’s too damaged by smoke and fire,” said Hurst. “They’ll be put up for the next three days.”

Hurst said Colwood Emergency Support Services (ESS) will be providing housing for the next three days so the residents can move to new living accommodations.

He said the home will require some repairs before people can move back in.

READ MORE: Several residents transported to hospital after structure fire in Duncan: RCMP

Justin WaddellJustin Waddell

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!