CVRD reminder: Get your fireworks permits before setting sparks

CVRD reminder: Get your fireworks permits before setting sparks

The Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) is reminding residents a fireworks permit is needed before setting off fireworks.

The permit is required within electoral areas A, B and C. Fireworks in rural areas are only allowed to be set off on property you own, or with the property owner’s permission.

The CVRD said fireworks sales will run from Oct. 24 to Nov. 1 and must be from a commercially zoned retailer operating under the current fire regulations in the region.

Permits are required prior to exploding or setting off fireworks, excluding sparklers, Christmas crackers and caps for toy guns.

“Failure to have a permit is now a $500 fine and residents are reminded to plan ahead,” Amanda Yasinski, senior manager of building and bylaw compliance, said in a media release.

“As well, please respect your neighbours and let them know beforehand if you are planning on setting off fireworks to help reduce the possibility of frightened children and animals.”

Permits are available online or at the CVRD office for only $10. Applicants must be at least 18 years old.

More information on fireworks permits can be found on the CVRD website.


Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!