According to the Better Business Bureau’s Scam Tracker, Canadians lost $93 million to online scams last year. Only five per cent of victims reported it.Rosalind Scott, president and CEO of the Better Business Bureau of Vancouver Island, offers some tips for safe shopping online for back-to-school items.
- Look at the URL — “https” means a secure site
- Don’t click on pop up ads or sponsored content
- Read seller reviews and look for patterns regarding unfulfilled promises or fake products
- Always pay with a credit card and never with a wire transfer
- Don’t give out personal information like social insurance numbers
- Educate your child about being safe online