B.C. forecasting over one million job openings in next decade: Labour Market Outlook

B.C. forecasting over one million job openings in next decade: Labour Market Outlook
Province of BC

The B.C. Labour Market Outlook is forecasting more than one million jobs opportunities will open over the next decade.

The Labour Market Outlook (LMO) says that approximately 1,004,000 job openings are being forecast through to 2031 with 63 per cent of these positions replacing people who are leaving the workforce permanently and the remaining 37 per cent being new jobs created by economic growth.

Of these future job opportunities, the LMO — a 10-year forecast that helps governments and businesses guide resources to support the workforce — forecasts that nearly 80 per cent of them will require some level of post-secondary education or training.

The government says that the largest number of job openings are expected in the healthcare, social assistance and education industries.

“Despite the challenges of the past two years, there are new opportunities ahead for people looking for good-paying careers,” said Anne Kang, Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Training. “We’re working to break down barriers and expand affordable post-secondary and skills training opportunities, so that with the right supports, the people of British Columbia can benefit from the good jobs this report projects.

Kang added that she feels the government is “laying the foundation for future prosperity” and that diversity will be a strength in the economy.

READ MORE: Province offering one-time grants to help child care providers in B.C.

In the coming years, the government anticipates that many of the job openings will provide services such as early childhood education, counselling, child protection and community housing and food services.

Science and technology jobs will also be in high demand with 111,000 job openings projected and 85,000 job openings expected in skilled trades, including careers ranging from cooks and automotive service technicians to construction workers and hairstylists.

“B.C. continues to lead Canada’s economic recovery with more than 100,000 jobs added in 2021,” said Ravi Kahlon, Minister of Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation. “I’ve heard from business leaders, First Nations, labour groups and non-profits throughout the province that B.C.’s competitive advantage is its people. That’s why our upcoming economic plan will put forward a generational commitment to attract, develop and retain talent to support the jobs of the future. By continuing to invest in people, we will build a stronger, more inclusive workforce and prepare British Columbians to compete on a global stage.”

The government notes that people 29 or younger entering the workforce for the first time will be the largest source of B.C.’s new labour supply. They will fill approximately 48,000 job openings or 48 per cent of the total job openings each year for the next 10 years.

Additionally, new immigrants will fill 34 per cent of the forecasted positions, while workers coming from other parts of Canada will fill 8 per cent of the jobs.

A new interactive career transition tool is available in multiple languages at WorkBC.ca. Using this and other accessible online resources, students and jobseekers can find in-demand jobs, employers can be guided in their business planning and educators can ensure programs provide British Columbians with the skills to succeed in the province’s growing economy.

Graham CoxGraham Cox

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!