One of the two men accused of carrying out a drive-by shooting in Nanaimo in broad daylight in March 2016 entered a guilty plea in a Nanaimo courtroom on Monday.
Inderpal Singh Aujla pleaded guilty to attempted murder and failing to stop a vehicle for a peace officer.
“It was entered today and has been put on the record,” said his lawyer Paul Dutt.
“Now we’re waiting for the sentencing that should take place in the next month or so.”
21-year-old Aujla of Mission, B.C. was charged with taking part in a drive-by shooting attempt on Wakesiah Avenue near Second Street on March 1st, 2016.
RCMP said at the time that multiple shots had been fired at the targeted vehicle, bullets had also struck another car and a nearby house. The lone occupant of the targeted vehicle was not injured.
Aujla was also at the wheel of a Mazda 3 that was then involved in a wild high speed chase with police down the Island Highway. He and the second suspect, Armaan Singh Chandi of Surrey, were finally stopped and arrested in Duncan. Several police vehicles were damaged and two Ladysmith RCMP officers were injured during the pursuit.
Chandi has pleaded not guilty to a series of charges, his trial is scheduled to continue in Nanaimo on Tuesday and last approximately two weeks.