Victim of March 31 stabbing identified as Jayden Gauthier

Victim of March 31 stabbing identified as Jayden Gauthier

As the charge of second-degree murder has been laid on 64-year-old Robert Travers in relation to an attack in downtown Victoria in March, court documents reveal the victim.

Jayden Gauthier, a man in his 20s, was stabbed near the Ocean Island Inn, a hostel on Pandora and Blanshard in the early morning hours on March 31.

Travers was arrested at the scene. Police say he’s responsible for attacking two people.

According to the manager of the Ocean Island Inn, an employee of the hostel was rushed to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Travers is already facing one count of aggravated assault in relation to the incident.

Watch the story below:

VicPD say Jayden was dead when officers arrived.

Meisha Schulte, Jayden’s mother, says he was almost 22 at the time of his death.

“Our family is absolutely devastated with the senseless murder of our Jayden as he walked home from work that night,” Schulte said. “Jayden was excited to stay after work to learn a new skill at a job he loved. The next day he was supposed to go to his parents house to celebrate Easter with his siblings, aunts, uncles and grandparents.”

“He had so many dreams and goals he was just starting to live his life. He was a beautiful human being, with a kind and compassionate heart. He learned how to crochet when he was 11 so he could make hats for the homeless. Our hearts and lives will never be the same without him.”

Travers appeared virtually for a bail hearing on Friday, June 28. He was remanded into custody.

Jayden is the son of Joe Gauthier, the 35-year-old father of four who was also stabbed to death six years ago at a house party on Hillside Avenue.

READ PREVIOUS: Police in Victoria investigating death near Hillside Mall

Court documents say, fueled by drugs and alcohol, a heated argument broke out between Joe and Daniel Creagh which led to a fistfight, then Creagh stabbing Joe multiple times with a kitchen knife.

Creagh later pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of manslaughter, and was sentenced to seven years in prison. Two-thirds into his sentence Creagh moved to a halfway house, but in June 2023, he simply walked away.

“He’s still supposed to be under those conditions, and he’s decided to not follow them now.”

Victoria Police confirm Creagh has since been located and arrested on a Canada-wide warrant – likely occurring outside the jurisdiction – no other details were provided.

As for Jayden, his family is hosting a private celebration of life, and have made t-shirts in his honour.

Jayden’s grandmother told CHEK News not a day goes by that she doesn’t think about him, and what happened that Easter weekend.

Travers now faces a multitude of court dates in relation to the second degree murder and aggravated assault charges. None of the allegations against him have been proven in court.

Kori SidawayKori Sidaway

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!