The Town of Sidney has finalized a list of recommendations to the Victoria Airport Authority (VAA) regarding a newly proposed development of a massive distribution centre.
The proposed centre would be a multi-storey warehouse distribution centre with office, storage garage and parkade spaces, located at 9899 McDonald Park Road and spanning over 7.7 acres.
The facility would be on an industrial-designated parcel of land, which is currently a vacant grass and gravel lot, located north of Beacon Avenue West between Galaran Road and McDonald Park Road and the building itself would stand 74.7 feet, or 22.76 metres tall — taller than the Town of Sidney’s current maximum allowable height of 15 metres.
A spokesperson for the Victoria Airport Authority said it has been working with the developer for several months now regarding the distribution centre for a yet-to-be-named tenant.
Despite plans already in the works, the Town of Sidney gathered recommendations from the public in order to present them to the VAA for consideration.
The Town of Sidney doesn’t have the final say over approval of the project, but councillors wanted to provide an opportunity for public consultation due to the size of the project.
“Council made several strong recommendations regarding public engagement, addressing impacts on the adjacent residential neighbourhood, transportation infrastructure improvements, and civil works and frontage improvements,” said Mayor Cliff McNeil-Smith. “Town staff provided recommendations from its technical review, and the community provided meaningful input to Council on the benefits and impacts of the development”, the Mayor stated.
According to the Town of Sidney, the Victoria Airport Authority will consider these recommendations and make a final decision on the project.
Below is a list of recommendations contained in the Council resolution, which was passed at a meeting on May 10 and presented to the VAA on Tuesday, May 11:
1) That Council direct staff to reply to the Victoria Airport Authority recommending that the VAA not approve the development without first engaging with the W̱SÁNEĆ Leadership Council and providing opportunities for public input, particularly engaging the Galaran neighbourhood.
2) That Council recommends that approval of the Development Referral for the property at 9899 McDonald Park Road (York Realty) be subject to the following conditions:
- That the VAA be a partner in funding and take a leadership role in working with York Realty, the Town of Sidney, the District of North Saanich, and other stakeholders to ensure a roundabout is designed and constructed at the intersection of Beacon Avenue West and Galaran Road, and that Stirling Way is realigned, in accordance with the Beacon West Traffic study, and that the roundabout be designed and constructed in a way to easily adapt to a two-lane roundabout over time;
- That construction of the roundabout at Galaran Road be completed prior to the facility at 9899 McDonald Park Road becoming operational;
- That a construction management plan to address potential impacts of construction on the surrounding road network be approved by the VAA and followed by York Realty throughout construction, including traffic control, truck routes, site deliveries, trades parkíng, dust control, etc.
- That the VAA commit to taking a leadership role and be a funding partner in working with the Town of Sidney, the District of North Saanich, the Province, and other stakeholders, to address improvements at the Highway 17 and Beacon Avenue intersection;
- That frontage improvements for the development include drainage and a pedestrian sidewalk along all road frontages and vehicle parking on the frontage of Galaran Road, as identified in the Beacon West Traffic Study;
- That the location of site entrances/exits from Galaran Road be improved to better align with existing street intersections on the east side of Galaran Road;
- That the civil engineer retained by York Realty continue to communicate with the Town’s Engineering department regarding civil design and road and frontage improvements in order to resolve all issues prior to the issuance of a Building Permit by the VAA;
- That all telecommunication and electrical site servicing be installed underground; and,
- That the east elevation of the building design be revised to reduce its impact on the Galaran residential neighbourhood.
3) Because this project is of significant interest to the community that we publish these recommendations prominently on our website.
4) Because this project is of significant interest to the community that we issue a media release and place an advertisement in the Peninsula News Review with these recommendations.
5) That the Town and VAA review the current MOU.
6) That the Town send a copy of the recommendations regarding this referral to MP Elizabeth May, MLA Adam Olsen, Minister of Transport Omar Alghabra, and B.C. Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Rob Fleming.
7) That the Mayor request a meeting with the two Town of Sidney nominees to the Victoria Airport Authority Board of Directors in order to discuss in detail Council’s recommendations pertaining to the York Realty development referral.