Residents of a Saanich neighbourhood remained forced from their homes due to a gas leak that crews were still working to stabilize early Wednesday evening.
The leak occurred after an unmarked line was struck at around 2 p.m. in the 3400-block of Quadra Street.
Saanich Fire responded to the scene and quickly assessed the area, also extinguishing a fire that occurred in a nearby property.
The leak shut down Quadra from the Cook and Cloverdale intersection to Holmes Street and also prompted an evacuation order for homes in the area.
The Greater Victoria School District confirmed Cloverdale Elementary was also evacuated due to the incident and had parents pick up their kids from the school’s back field.
Public Notice: Cloverdale Elementary is currently evacuating due to a construction incident on Quadra St. All children will be picked up on the back field. Families please check your email for more information. #sd61learn
— Greater Victoria SD (@sd61schools) January 25, 2023
Residents of evacuated buildings were encouraged to go to a reception centre set up to receive them at Cedar Hill Golf Course on 1400 Derby Road.
Residents will only be allowed back in their homes when FortisBC and Saanich Fire crews can ensure they’re safe for entry.
The District of Saanich said it would provide another update by 8 p.m. on its website and its Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Saanich Fire is still working with Fortis to stabilize the gas leak in the 3400 block of Quadra and ensure evacuated buildings are safe for entry.
No injuries are reported as a result of the leak. Everyone should avoid the area until crews give it the all-clear.