Heavy rains paired with a badly damaged slope in Zeballos from a wildfire have resulted in an evacuation order being issued.
The Village of Zeballos says the order is in addition to the six homes evacuated due to the fire.
The Order is in effect for the following areas, if listed residents need to leave immediately
- All houses North of the Sugarloaf Bridge.
- All houses on the east side of Maquinna Avenue North of Pandora Crescent.
- All houses on Pandora Crescent that are east of Maquinna Avenue
- The following houses on the east side of Ferris Road: 402-B, 404, and 406
It was issued at 8 a.m. Saturday and officials say an evacuation centre has been set up in town, but many are choosing to leave Zeballos altogether.
Heavy debris from the slope has already started falling down, and the heavy rains are expected to continue throughout the weekend.
— Skye Ryan (@SkyeRyanCHEK) September 8, 2018
The order was issued on the recommendation of the Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resources Operations and Rural Development.
If evacuating, the following is suggested by officials:
- Follow the travel route provided and register at the Village Office at 157 Maquinna Avenue .
- Close all windows and doors
- Shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers
- Close gates (latch) but do not lock
- Gather your family: take a neighbour or someone who needs help
- Take critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and Keys) only if they are immediately available. Take pets in pet kennels or on leash.
- Do not use more vehicles then you have to.
- Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service.
Those in need of transportation assistance from the area or looking for more information can call 250-761-4229.
Some residents received notice Friday after they got a call from the village.
“We knew this was going to be coming,” said resident Ernest Smith. “We raced out there and picked up our older son, picked up our valuables, and when we were out there we heard debris falling and it was raining pretty good.”