Victoria fire officials say the quick actions of residents helped limit the spread of a fire at a home early Friday morning.
Victoria fire says 15 firefighters responded to a call around midnight, where they found smoke in the area which was coming from a home in the 1100-block of Kings Road.
One of the residents met crews and reported the rear deck was on fire and they tried to put it out with a garden hose.
After an investigation, officials determined the fire started from improperly discarded smoking materials and was accidental.
Firefighters were able to get a hose line to the fire and put it out.
Damage was estimated to be around $10,000 and was limited to the deck and soffit area, with slight damage to an exterior wall.
Victoria fire says the residents were credited for being able to get some water on the fire from a safe distance and limit the spread of flames.
Fire officials say smoke had entered the home’s attic through a vent, but the fire did not extend inside.