Here at CHEK News, we are expanding at a rapid rate. We have a highly skilled and creative newsroom and are now looking for someone with a strong editorial and visual skillset to oversee our number one newscasts. A rare opportunity to join and help lead an established news team in one of Canada’s most desirable cities, Victoria.
The right person understands the challenges of the current media landscape, understands the craft of line producing and has solid managerial skills to help mentor and spark a positive, passionate environment … and is willing to embrace the west coast lifestyle. CHEK prides itself as an independent newsroom and the only employee-owned station in the country.
The vision of the role:
- You love the news. Understand how to shape the casts and pivot to cover the big stories of the day
- Big vision for production and look of our casts
- Making our casts pop, with the right live elements and flow of the shows
- Work with reporters, anchors and multi-platform talent to help define our voice in the market
- Ability to edit, vet, fact-check stories, and copy – including video
- You flourish under tight deadlines
- Experience coaching and developing new talent
- Degree in journalism or equivalent with minimum 5 years of recent, related experience
- This role is a Group 3 position as per the Collective Agreement
CHEK recognizes past and present social injustices in our country and strives for diversity, inclusion and equality by embracing people’s experiences and communities. CHEK Full-time employees are expected to participate in the employee share ownership program after one year of employment.
This position reports to the News Director, Scott Fee.
Please submit a resume and relevant links in your cover letter by June 3 2022 to:
Peggy Heyer, Human Resource Manager
CHEK Media Group