On the West Coast, we do things differently. At CHEK Media – which has been rooted here on Vancouver Island since 1956 – we have been carving our own path as the only local, independent employee-owned TV station in North America. In fact, we’re more than a TV station. We are multi-media content creators, with a wide reach across multiple platforms. We have the number one newscast and news website on Vancouver Island, and we create a wide range of diverse, local programs for West Coast audiences, the type we’d like to see ourselves.
We’re looking for an inspiring News Director to lead Vancouver Island’s top news team into the future. It’s an exciting opportunity for someone with great ideas, a solid journalism background and demonstrated leadership skills. You will work with a highly motivated and talented newsroom staff to produce compelling content on our various platforms. You will also be part of a management team that is charting its own course, based on a commitment to innovation, sustainability, inclusiveness, and community building.
• Innovative, creative and has vision for the newsroom.
• A great team player, culture builder and leads by example.
• Works closely with senior newsroom leaders; Anchors, Supervisors, and the Assignment Editor to ensure a seamless delivery of CHEK news and programming.
• Leads, mentors, and inspires a team of journalists, including MMJ’s, Reporters, Videographers, Editors and Anchors.
• Leads strategic planning and newscast reviews to ensure our content resonates with audiences in an evolving media environment.
• Stays current with audience and industry trends to help develop ideas and for future content or newscasts.
• Coordinate and produce live and breaking news specials and events.
• Strong writing and editing skills. Ensures our content is original and relevant and meets our journalistic standards.
• A dedicated member of the Management team, that helps to seize opportunities and grow the business.
• An ambassador of the station who will attend events and other PR related appearances.
• Management tasks such as approving expenses, accountability for the newsroom budget and approving news schedules.
• Supported by HR you will lead recruitment, training, and performance management of the newsroom.
You bring to the role
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. You can maintain composure under competing priorities. You build trust with colleagues. You are cooperative, empathetic and lead with a positive outlook.
• Creates and inspires a positive team culture and supports team members to do their best work.
• You are results driven and inspire others to work towards goals, while also encouraging a healthy work life balance.
• You embrace change, listen to others, are flexible to new ideas and collaboratively solve problems.
• You use good reason and judgement in making decisions.
• You can lead change and positively inspire your team to work toward a shared vision.
• You are detailed oriented, organized, prioritize tasks, reliable and diligent.
• You are curious and bring a range of life experiences and perspectives to our team.
• You are passionate about news and journalism and bring sound news judgement.
• University degree, diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience in Journalism or related field. Business and Management education would be an asset.
• 3 + Years of leadership, management experience.
• Highly experienced journalist with demonstrated leadership skills.
• CHEK Full-time employees are expected to participate in the employee share ownership program after one year of employment.
• Covid Vaccination is a requirement.
• A valid driver’s license.
What we offer
• Work location is primarily onsite at our Victoria head office Monday-Friday, hours are flexible during standard business hours. Free onsite parking included.
• Competitive Salary and full extended health care benefits
• A passionate team that cares.
• This position reports to General Manager Rob Germain.
• CHEK is a unionized and employee owned. Management positions are Exempt.
To Apply: We thank all those who apply but only those applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Please submit a resume and relevant links in your cover letter to HR Manager Jen Spencer at [email protected]. This position will be open until filled.
CHEK is an equal opportunity employer, that values diversity of people and communities. We encourage applications from diverse backgrounds, abilities, and cultures to apply.