CHEK NEWS is Your Island’s Own — independent and employee-owned!
CHEK has served Vancouver Island since 1956. It was the first private TV station in B.C. In September 2009, with overwhelming support from communities across Vancouver Island, CHEK employees and local investors purchased the station to ensure the Island’s most watched news remained on-air.
Here at CHEK Media we are expanding at a rapid rate. CHEK Media is Victoria, BC’s leading television broadcast and video production company. We are a multi-platform operation that serves local, regional, and national clients. CHEK Media is employee-owned and operated with a stellar 65 year+ history across Vancouver Island and reaching viewers not only on Vancouver Island but across the Lower Mainland and via satellite across Canada.
This is a great rare opportunity at CHEK Media. We are looking for a full-time seasoned control room Director with a great attitude and excellent communication skills that can guide, build, and help grow our newscast in a calm and efficient manner.
• Collaborating with anchors, producers, and the executive producer to ensure seamless and dynamic newscasts.
• Has a strong attention to detail and anticipates challenges before they arise.
• Excellent technical skills with audio and control room equipment
• Solution focused and able to maintain poise under pressure.
• Communicates effectively and respectfully with teammates
• Mentors junior staff in training
• Editing experience is an asset but not necessary
• Regular hours will be 11-7pm Monday-Friday
• Shifts may involve working weekends, evenings, and holidays, as required.
• Degree or Diploma in Broadcast Television program.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a news control room
• The ability to multitask and adapt to a constantly changing
• Ability to work as a team and independently
• Work with speed and accuracy
• Strong interpersonal skills and a positive attitude are essential.
• Employee are required to be fully vaccinated.
What We Offer:
• A competitive salary to align with experience
• This is a Group 2 position under the current collective agreement.
• Extended healthcare benefits
• Management who deeply cares about your development and long-term
career at CHEK
• A team that trusts each other and wants to succeed together
CHEK Full-time employees are expected to participate in the employee share ownership program after one year of employment.
CHEK is an equal opportunity employer, that values diversity of people and communities. We encourage applications from diverse backgrounds, abilities, and cultures to apply.
This role reports to the News Director: Scott Fee
To apply send your resume in to Human Resources Manager – Jen Spencer.
E-mail: [email protected]