Increasing number of accidental poisonings from consumption of toxic cap mushrooms
A warning for wild mushroom hunters from the BC Centre for Disease Control tonight.
There has been an increasing number of reports of people accidentally consuming toxic death cap mushrooms.
Death cap mushrooms, shown here, aren’t native to BC but they have been popping up around the province more and more, including here on Vancouver Island.
They were first found in Vancouver in 2008.
They are usually associated with oak, beech, hornbeam and linden trees.
While nobody has died in BC from eating a death cap mushroom they can cause severe illness, including liver and kidney failure.
The CDC recommends only picking and eating mushrooms that are easily identifiable, and to only eat small amounts.