WATCH: A couple visiting from Saskatchewan credits a smoke detector with allowing them to escape unharmed, after a fire broke out inside their motorhome early Tuesday morning
The fire broke out in a freezer compartment underneath the motor home as it sat in the West Bay RV park in Esquimalt.
The blaze also badly damaged two other nearby trailers.
The motorhome owner says the vehicle was quickly filling with smoke as he and his wife escaped.
The couple, from Saskatoon, spend winters in their motorhome in the Capital Region.
The couple and their dog weren’t hurt, but their pet cat is still missing.