Edmonton student remains missing after Thursday’s truck attack that left 84 dead
Two days after the deadly attack, Nice’s waterfront promenade was covered in memorials Saturday, with flags wrapped in black ribbon as France begins three days of official mourning.
For the 85 Nanaimo-Ladysmith School District students and their chaperones still in France, and their parents back home, it was a day of figuring out what happens next.
Many of the students were just metres away when the truck driven by 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel plowed through crowds gathered for Bastille Day celebrations …
School District 68 officials announced late Friday that the students would be brought home.
Saturday morning, a group of parents met with the district, some initially unhappy with the decision, saying their children wanted the option to stay.
After the meeting, SD68 didn’t provide an update on whether that might be possible, or a timeline to bring the group home.
Back in France, a university student from Edmonton remains missing.
MacEwan University says 22-year-old Mykhaylo Bazelevskyy, a Ukrainian citizen who’s been studying in Canada for four years and has permanent residency, was in France attending a program a the European Innovation Academy.
He has not been heard from since the truck attack took place.
French authorites continue trying to piece together what led Bouhlel to carry out the attack.
Police detained 3 more people with connections to Bouhlel, a Tunisian-born French citizens, bringine the total arrested to 5.
An ISIS-linked twitter account claimed him as a “soldier” but investigators have so far not established any direct link between Bouhlel and terror groups, and people who knew him described a loner with a history of mental health issues, and little interest in religion.
“It appears he was radicalized very quickly,” said France’s interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve. “These are the elements that have come up from the testimony from people around him.”
The French government called up military reserves to bolster security across the country, but in Nice, a city where tourism is key, the promenade where so many died re-opened.
And a Montrealer in the city says he feels there’s nothing to fear.
“I would say come, come and enjoy yourself you just can’t bury yourself in a hole because you’re afraid something’s going to happen,” Bob Parent told the CBC.