Saanich Fire Department investigators have found that a fire that sent one person to hospital and caused an estimated $300,000 in damage last weekend was accidental.
Firefighters were called to a unit in the 1700 block of McKenzie Avenue at about 4:30 pm on Sunday.
They arrived to find heavy smoke and flames shooting from the centre unit of the townhouse.
The fire was contained to the one unit but it caused extensive damage.
Investigators found that the fire started in a basement bedroom and was due to an electrical arc in the cord of a hair appliance plugged into a wall outlet.