Update: Judge rules against temporary injunction seeking to remove campers
The provincial government has lost a bid for an interim injunction that would have forced campers to leave a tent city in downtown Victoria.
The Chief Justice of the B-C Supreme Court, Christopher Hinkson, says the government didn’t prove it will suffer irreparable harm without the injunction.
Technology Minister Amrik Virk, whose ministry is responsible for the courthouse grounds, says he respects the ruling but the province will now focus on its application for a permanent injunction, due to be heard in early September.
A handful of homeless people set up tents on the lawn last spring and, since then, the protest has grown to more than 100 tents, tarps and shacks. (The Canadian Press)
— April Lawrence (@AprilCHEK) April 5, 2016