As more than a dozen downtown Nanaimo business owners assess the damage caused by a devastating Wednesday evening fire, residents show their gratitude to firefighters who battled the blaze.
A chalk board with a message of support was placed in the area this morning near the still smoldering remains of the historic block.
The fire broke out at about 6:30 yesterday in the former Acme restaurant on 10 Commercial Street.
Firefighters closed nearby streets and worked late into the night to keep the blaze from spreading beyond the historic block of the downtown core.
There were no injuries but several firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation as they fought to control the explosions, flames and massive plumes of smoke.
Clean-up efforts are underway and officials are on scene, trying to determine a cause.
All businesses in the block were damaged, many destroyed. No word on how many were insured.