Student trip to France and Spain ended abruptly after attack in Nice, but parents say there was no consultation with them.
The shock of what happened in Nice, France last Thursday has turned to mounting frustration for many parents of 85 Nanaimo high school students who were there when the horror unfolded.
Since then parents say there has been little to no consultation from the School District about decisions being made to bing the students home.
“They’ve blundered it, they’ve kept people in the dark. In 2016 you can’t make decisions for near adults and parents without consulting them” said Peter Behie whose daughter Alexandra is on the trip.
Behie says Alexandra wanted to continue the trip and had said, as did many others, that they felt better about overcoming what they witnessed by remaining together as a group and wanted to continue on to Spain this week for the last leg of the two week trip.
Her father says that is not happening now thanks to a unilateral decision by the District and says his daughter is “livid and angry.”
Adding to his frustration is the fact he could not get an answer from the District on the whereabouts of his daughter.
“My child was supposed to fly through Barcelona and I find out this morning that they missed that and she’s in London and flying home though London and we had to pull that information out of the School District” he said.
As a lawyer Behie drafted a letter absolving the District of any liability if any students stayed on the trip and then a second letter on behalf of 30 parents withdrawing consent to bring the students home.
He says both were ignored and he can not understand why.
Parents say they are so fed up with how this is being handled they are not ruling out legal action against the School District.
CHEK News has made repeated unsuccessful attempts to speak with School District Officials since Saturday.