Five people are homeless tonight — after a devastating fire in the Comox Valley early this morning.
Fortunately, no one was hurt. But the house suffered serious damage.
The fire broke just before 1:00 a.m. in a this home in the 3,000-block of Fraser Road in Cumberland.
Fire officials say it looked like the blaze started in the basement around a pellet stove before moving outside, climbing up the wall of the home and onto the roof.
A man sleeping with his bedroom window opened smelled smoke — and all five people inside were able to get out.
The Cumberland Volunteer Fire Department spent more than four hours actively fighting the blaze and then several more hours putting out spot fires.
Damage is in excess of $100,000 and the home may be a total write-off.