WATCH: Victoria Firefighters save two cats in Dallas road blaze
Victoria Firefighters arrived just in time to prevent a basement suite fire from spreading to the rest of an apartment building on Dallas Road.
“I was just coming home from town and I saw fog coming in and I went no that’s not fog that’s smoke,” said Wayne Gionet. “I went further on down the road and thought that’s definitely a fire going on and I called 911.”
Residents of the building heard the alarms and noticed the smoke coming from the ground floor unit.
When they arrived, firefighters found a pile of debris burning in a corner, luckily crews were able to extinguish the blaze quickly.
“It was caught just in time,” said Victoria Fire Captain Gord Taylor.
“The smoke was travelling across the ceiling and was getting ready to ignite but there was a lot of heat and it melted everything up in the top and it’s done a lot of smoke damage throughout the unit but it is confined to the one unit.”
There was no one in the unit at the time but fire fighters discovered two terrified cats cowering under a bed.
They were pulled from the apartment and were given oxygen with the department’s new pet mask.
They were scared but unhurt.
The animals were kept calm and safe inside the truck until the owner could collect them.
Officials say there was significant damage to the one unit and believe the fire started accidentally.