A small fire in an apartment building on Fisgard Street will likely have residents of least a few units looking for somewhere to stay tonight.
Crews were called to the 12-story Hudson Mews building at 780 Fisgard just before 8 p.m.
People living in the 120-unit building were forced out as firefighters arrived and searched for the cause.
It turned out to be a fire in a stove fan on the fifth floor of the building.
“When crews arrived on scene, they found that a suite on the fifth floor had had sprinkler activation,” said Victoria Fire Department Acting Battalion Chief Mark Robertson.
“it was caused by a small fire in a hood vent.”
The fire doesn’t appear to have caused much damage but it set off sprinklers.
“The fire has been extinguished but there was quite a bit of water damage to the suites below,” said Robertson.
Fire officials say 13 units sustained some damage worth an estimated $75,000.
City of Victoria Emergemcy Social Service attended to take care of any residents that were unable to return to their suites.
The building’s management team assisted with contacting their repair contractors and organizing their residents.
Those who could return home were allowed back in about 45 minutes later.
The building opened in May 2014.