Investigators have determined a major fire that destroyed a Nanaimo city block was accidental and caused by an electrical malfunction.
Nanaimo Fire Rescue investigators found the electrical fire began in a void space between the first and second floors near the centre of the building at 10 Commercial Street.
Nanaimo’s chief fire prevention officer says that allowed the fire to quickly spread throughout the building, making it very difficult to fight.
There were reports of a power disruption in the area just before the fire started but is been determined that it was not a factor.
No one was injured in the March 30th fire but it gutted the historic structure that had been home to 15 businesses.