WATCH: The provincial government announces $640-thousand in new funding to support Victoria’s homeless population
Most of that money, about $500-thousand will be used to keep My Place open through the summer.
The 40-bed facility on Yates Street was opened earlier this year to serve those camping on the lawns of the Victoria courthouse, and will now remain open until the end of September.
The province is also providing $130-thousands to allow the 45-bed shelter at the First Metropolitan Church to stay open until the end of June. Our Place Society will continue to operate both facilities.
The announcement comes amid concern from parents who’s children attend Central Middle School, near the My Place shelter.
Bonita David said evidence of drug use isn’t as obvious in the colder months but in the summer, people get high near the school grounds.
“I saw them using right at the end of the school here,” said David. “There were two people sitting under a tree where I pick up my boys. I took some pictures and I told the principal, it’s just unreal that they would have the shelter right across from a middle school.”
David’s views though are not shared by all of Central Middle School’s parents and students.
“I think that the more awareness for our children, in regards to the shelter and how Victoria is supporting the homeless and addicted, the better it will be for them,” said another parent.
Central Middle School students are holding a lunch at My Place on Wednesday for those living in the shelter.