WATCH: An Esquimalt family has lost everything in a fire.
Luckily no one was injured, but now the family is without a home. Monica Martinez reports.
The fire took everything the Alaas-Ideis family owned.
“All our things are lost, everything is lost,” said father Bassem Alaas.
Remnants of their belongings are scattered outside the Esquimalt apartment building on Craigflower Road.
“It’s a very hard situation for me to see it and it’s so sad, so miserable,” he said.
The fire started Saturday evening in their second floor apartment, flames tearing through the windows and it quickly spread throughout the unit.
Days later, the damage is visible from the outside, but inside it’s much worse.
Bassem Alaas is seeing his burnt apartment for the first time.
The walls are black with soot, floors are covered with debris and ash is everywhere.
“We lost everything, everything. We don’t have anything now.”
The fire started in the bedroom closet, but what sparked it is still a mystery.
“What’s happened?” he asked. “Because here there is so electric outlet no oven nothing,” Alaas said.
The couple and their three young children immigrated from Jordan a year and a half ago.
They were veterinarians running their own clinic, but they sold everything to escape the war and move to Canada.
The problem is they are here as visitors, they don’t have refugee status or work permits.
“So now we kindly ask you for assistance. Anything will support us,” said Bara Ideis.
Their son also pleaded to help, bringing his parents to tears.
“I don’t have anything, I just need anyone’s help. I want to know who wants to be my helper,” said Omar Alaas.
The family is being housed at a hotel until Saturday, but after that they have nowhere to go.
Without friends and family, they are relying on the Esquimalt Church of the Nazarene for help.
“The immediate issue is to find them a place to stay, a location where they can have a two or three bedroom, so that is their greatest need at the moment plus some financial help for sure,” said Pastor Barry Goodwin.
They lost everything they owned, but they are thankful their family, at least, is unharmed.
If you would like to help the family, please contact the Esquimalt Church of the Nazarene on 886 Craigflower Road, 250-382-0812 or [email protected]